Powered By Blogger

Pages

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Set the Stage, then Suit up and Show up!


I was asked the other day, how to get an art show by an artist who was frustrated. I asked them “What type of art show and what type of exhibition place do you see your art in.” “Do you know who your customer is?” and “Where might those customers hang out?” Asking how and where to get an art show is a great question, it means you have a desire to get moving and into action.

It really helps if you knw how to set the Stage so to say and then Suit up and Show up! You can do this with a powerful visualization tool I use and want to share with you as I do with other artists and business persons who ask me these questions.

I remember the first time usuing this type of visualizing and manifested an art show in Los Angeles. I was not a starving artist so to say, but I was hungry to offer my services.

Like the artist who had approached me the other day I could relate. Looking for places to show my artwork, nothing was turning up. However I knew a space would eventually appear somewhere. Doors always opened when going on those “gut” feelings I sometimes received.

To my knowledge, I had never consciously visualized before, however this one day out of nowhere that is what I indeed did. One morning in early 1992 after recently moving to Los Angeles, deciding to act as if I already had an art show on the books and needed to deliver my paintings to the gallery. Mind you I had no art show lined up. Loading up my old blue Toyota with twenty little paintings and acting as if my show was real. Fired up my chariot and headed into the big city like a gladiator to a gallery awaiting me. I stopped at a few gallery spots and to my surprise, none were open. Disappointing, yes, but I was determined to continue in my quest and grateful to be living in sunny Southern California again.

By two o'clock that afternoon, I pulled the car over, tired, and a bit overwhelmed, with my stomach, growling, thankfully, I had brought a snack. Sitting in my car wondering what to do next, with a clear picture in my head of exactly what I wanted and decided to play a game with myself.

This game came from a childhood memory. Growing up in a small Connecticut town next to a country playhouse where Summer-Stock Theater came every year. I loved watching the shows and actors evolve from rehearsal to opening night. As “the kid next door”, often was invited to see the show free. Those memories gave me a thought. closing my eyes and saw in my mind a beautiful old theater, inside taking place was production of my successful art opening, titled "My Art Exhibit" the curtain went up, and saw myself in the scenes, making paintings, delivering and hanging them at the gallery. In the next scene came opening night. I saw myself surrounded by friends, enjoying great food, conversation and taking cash and checks from buyers. Smiling, I ended the little play in my minds eye, feeling quite accomplished, with the big curtains closing to applause, and saying aloud “The End” clapped my hands, opened my eyes and let my vision go. Feeling nice and relaxed that’s when I looked up noticing a cute little café "Carolyn's" a few doors down from my parking spot. I needed food, the place looked great, and grabbed my portfolio to review it over lunch.

I walked into the cafe and the woman behind the counter asked: "Are you the artist?
"Yes." I answered. My goodness how did she know that, are all these folks in L.A. psychic? I wondered. "The artist’s here" she hollered to her boss in the backroom of the café.

The manager yelled back, "It's about time," looking out from the back room and said, "He's not the artist!" You see, as it turned out, they had an artist lined up for an exhibit who never appeared, in-fact, days had passed and those café walls were looking bare. "Do you have art with you now?" the manager asked firmly of me. "Oh yes" I answered, handing over my portfolio, and in my car, my paintings were ready to hang!

The cafe manager looked at my portfolio and said "These are beautiful, lets hang your art right now and let me buy you lunch. You know artists come in all the time wanting shows, they seem to have great potential, but they do not follow through. If you can follow through, then show your art here as long as you like, when something sells; bring in another to keep the place looking full. Do you want an opening party? You get people here; I’ll take care of the food. I don't want a commission, just beautiful art on our walls for my customers to enjoy while eating my food"

Wow! My own little gallery complete with opening night, fine food, and centrally located in Los Angeles! Okay, it wasn't the space I expected, but, let me tell you, I didn't have to think about that very long about this offer. I said yes right away. The next weekend we were enjoying my art opening complete with friends and buyers!
What happened to me that day? I wasn't the artist who was supposed to show up. I got an art show and made a local business happy. Not to mention my hungry belly was fed a delicious lunch. Here’s what happened. I visualized with intention, made a game out of it, sending strong positive and powerful “creative emotions” out to the Universe, I was aware, paying attention, and acted on that awareness and what it presented, then followed through with a decision, one I am sure, changed my life for the better.

What happened is this: I suited up, and showed up, for the life of my dreams! And you can too. I use this technique with those I mentor, we call it "Manifestation Playhouse" Set the stage and try it for yourself.

By playing the game Manifestation Playhouse a few minutes daily, you can slowly increase your positive vibration to where you want to be and implant in your subconscious mind the feeling achieving your wanted desires. This tool is much more than wishful or positive thinking because when you play “a game” your ego steps out of the way and quiets down. The ego cannot be bothered with those silly games; its job is much too dramatic and would rather feed on fear and uncertainty. This “play” exercise will create subtle shifting of your energy, using upbeat positive images to maintain a good vibration in attracting what you wish to accomplish.

Just as in anything, baby steps and balance, will eventually lead to bigger steps and further success. So keep track of your positive evidence. Vibrational change is a process that is best not rushed. That little show at the café turned out to be perfect venue for the service I could offer at the time. By saying yes to what manifested before me, more business career doors opened, eventually leading to living the artist life of my dreams with excellent patrons, gallery and museum shows, being published many times and eventually founding my art based companies.
When we decide, what we want, individually and collectively. There is no limitation as the Universe recognizes our desire immediately begins to deliver it to us. Whether we’re an artist or non-artist, be open to receive, a sparkling life with rave reviews. Identify your desire and then take steps to fulfill the outcome. Do you have service to offer? Are you ready to set your stage? If you said yes, good! Take these tools here in this story and like a director of the play would, shout out, ONE TWO and … Action!

Happy and artisic travels to you! RD Riccoboni

Self-taught California artist RD Riccoboni™ began painting at the age of five when he got into his mother’s paint-by-numbers. Riccoboni is an entrepreneur and visionary. Exhibited and collected internationally this painter and best-selling author is mentor to many. He has created successful art-based companies, which assist others to promote their artistic passions and come to realize their true artistic value. His painting “A Little Piece of Heaven” graces the cover of Manifest Success is about Stretching and Expanding.

See his beautiful paintings at Http://Beacon-Artworks.com

Beacon Artworks Gallery
2754 Calhoun St.
Old Town San Diego State Historic Park
San Diego, CA 92110


Painting above: "A Little Piece of Heaven" by RD Riccoboni The Art Traveler

No comments:

Post a Comment